Tuesday, January 6, 2009

It's about time, Mint!

When I heard about Mint late in 2007, I eagerly signed up right away. I'd been using Quicken on my old laptop, but when my laptop abruptly stopped working, I was looking for a new way to manage my budget and spending. Mint sounded ideal because it links to your accounts and automatically tracks your spending without you having to go in and manually enter all of your transactions.

I successfully added my accounts to Mint, with one exception: Citizens Bank. Though I've moved to ING for my savings accounts and CDs, I still use Citizens for my checking and do most of my spending with my debit card. Without support for Citizens, Mint was pretty useless to me. I signed in every couple of months, hoping Citizens would work, but it never did. I logged into Mint a couple of days ago to check things out, and I was thrilled to see that Citizens Bank is now functional...finally! I excitedly spent the better part of an hour going through my spending for the past couple of months, tagging and untagging transactions (yes, I am a total nerd.) I still haven't figured out the best way to log deposits into my ING savings accounts (both Citizens and ING log these, and it doesn't end up making sense), but I'll get it eventually.

Mint is almost perfect now, except for the Investments tool -- it's still way off in tracking your totals for investments and gains/losses, even when you add price paid per transaction for individual mutual funds/stocks. I'm not sure what the problem is, but I have full confidence that one day (even if it's not until next January) I'll log in and everything will work as it should.

No comments: