Friday, December 19, 2008

The cost of social outings

Yesterday was my office holiday party. Yes, we have our holiday party mid-week in the afternoon; it was pretty boring, but the half day was nice. :)

After the party, a bunch of us went to a couple of bars in the area. I didn't really want to spend money, but I went along anyway. I did end up buying one beer, but after I realized that a draft beer was $7, I decided to wait until the next bar to get a second drink. Hard to believe, but when we arrived at the second bar, it was even more expensive than the first! Martinis and the like were around $15, and beer was $9. I quickly decided to just go home, because there is no way I can justify spending like that.

In the large group of co-workers I was with, I know that only a couple make slightly more than I do, and the rest make about the same as me or less. Yet, they all felt it was perfectly normal to go out and spend this kind of money on drinks. In fact, I know some of them do it regularly. They've invited me to go out with them after work several times, but I always turn down the invitations. I like my co-workers, but I just can't understand their mindset at all. These are the same women who are constantly sporting stylish new clothes, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but it troubles me that most of the people I know in my age range spend money like this as a matter of course.

No comments: