Friday, February 6, 2009

No Grad School for Me

A while ago, I wrote about my fear of being laid off. I've talked to a few people at work about this, and they all think I'm insane. Regardless, I still have the fear in the back of my mind, and (goal alert!) I plan to overhaul my resume by the end of the month just in case.

Because I'm a chronic worrier, I've spent a significant amount of time thinking about what I'd do if If I did lose my job. Like many people in this situation, I briefly thought about going to graduate school. However, I refuse to take any more standardized tests because I strongly believe the assessment industry is a total racket that doesn't prove anything about a person's intelligence and ability, so I can't apply to any program that requires a GRE score. Besides that, I have no idea what I would want to do with my life (other than travel around the world learning different languages and seeing new places, which I'm pretty sure isn't a job so much as a hobby for the independently wealthy). And I definitely do NOT want to take on anymore student loan debt, so grad school is out. After reading this list of reasons why you shouldn't try to dodge a recession with grad school, I feel validated in my decision. I'm not saying that grad school isn't a good choice for people with a definite career in mind that requires an advanced degree, but it definitely isn't for me at the moment.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"travel around the world learning different languages and seeing new places, which I'm pretty sure isn't a job so much as a hobby for the independently wealthy"

Actually, it is a job. Check out the job of Foreign Service Officer with the US Department of State, here: http://careers.state.gov/officer/index.html